Motivational Speech for History Majors (Sample)


Graduates, I know what you are thinking. You are probably thinking that I’ll be talking about the excitement of the real world, how exhilarating it is to start your new life, and how wonderful it is to be stepping out of this University to discover new things. Well, I think that kind of speech should be saved for another day. Instead, I am here to tell you all that today you are irrelevant, you are unimportant, and you are useless. Correct me if I’m wrong but maybe you have heard of these words a hundred, or maybe a thousand times before. You have also probably said these sentences to yourselves repetitively. You probably agree with me to some extent. So, why am I telling you this?

The answer is simple. These are the most common responses of people every time you tell them that you are studying History. Unfortunately, the decline in the number of students enrolling in this major has been continuous. In the last 20 or so years, people strongly believe that fields related to the advancement of society such as Engineering, Information Technology, and other science-related studies should be prioritized the most. Come to think of it, these are really important fields. What about History? Does it have any relevance to our lives now? Is it important? Why bother studying it? What kind of job can you have after graduating? You only memorize dates and names of dead people, so do you even learn skills necessary to land a good job? And so on.

When I was a high school student, my History teacher, who also happened to be my homeroom teacher, required us to summarize the first 10 chapters of our History book by hand. Yes, you heard it right. We had to write down on our notebooks the important events that happened in our country and the people who made contributions in these events. I hated that project. It took me hours and days to finish it. I had to read and reread all the stories, memorize the facts and figures, and digest all these information in as few words as possible. In the end, I used 3 notebooks to complete the summary. After this, what happened? Nothing. I got my grade and I did not even receive a commendation from my teacher despite the fact that I was the first student who submitted this project in my class.

So what’s my point? Nothing much. The facts and figures I had memorized are still in my head. Do I use these information at work? Definitely not. But here’s the thing, I was able to develop a skill of learning new things fast, I was able to practice my writing, I was able to learn to manage my time effectively, I was able to understand how and why trends start, and I was able to learn how to strategize to avoid possible conflicts I have foreseen before they even happen. I wouldn’t be able to develop these if my teacher had not required us to do the project. These are what I consider to be my strengths as an entrepreneur and an educator. These are the kinds of abilities you have learned and mastered throughout your years here. Luckily, these are all the skills that most employers look for in all work fields. Sure, you might not always be their first choice but you’re definitely not the last. Here goes the cliché: Use these skills and climb yourself to the top. Be humble enough and always work in the quietest way possible. We all know that a plan announced is a plan that will surely fail.

Finally, I want to ask you some questions. Will you continue to be irrelevant? Will you continue to be unimportant? Or will you continue to be useless. It is now up to you to prove me otherwise. 
Thank you and congratulations!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Control your temper

The worth of zoos (Subic Ocean Adventure and Zoobic Safari)

Looking back (Part 1)